The City of Burlington can trace its beginnings to the 1850s when the North Carolina Railroad selected this area to be the site of its repair facilities. Soon after the railroad moved to the area, it became known as “Company Shops” and was chartered under this name in 1866. In 1866, the railroad moved its repair facilities to Spencer, North Carolina. With the departure of the railroad, Company Shops residents felt the need for a more appropriate name. They selected Burlington as the town’s new name and made it official in 1893 when the City was chartered and incorporated. The exit of the railroad created a serious economic crisis. However, this situation was short-lived as several manufacturing plants, textile plants in particular, began to spring up in the City. This manufacturing heritage still exists today providing jobs for the vast majority of Burlington residents. Burlington is located in an area rich in history and tradition. There are many reminders of days gone by scattered throughout the City and surrounding area.